Dental Check-Ups 101: What to Expect at Your Next Visit
You’ve done the hardest part—you scheduled your next dental appointment. Many people tend to avoid the dentist until they experience tooth pain or have a dental issue. But maintaining regular dental check-ups will go a long way to keep your mouth healthy. If you’re new to our practice or it’s been years since your last dentist appointment, we’ll tell you exactly what you can expect from a dental check-up at Anderson & Atkins, DDS. Our goal is to ease your fears and answer your questions so that you have a positive experience.
What To Do Before Your Visit
If you can take the following steps prior to your dental check-up, you’ll walk into our office feeling confident. Some of the stress associated with the dental visit will be eliminated when you feel prepared.
- Gather Information: Make sure you have your insurance card, information about your health history, a list of medications you are currently taking, and the contact information for your most recent primary care physician and previous dentist.
- Transfer Records: Contact your former dentist and request that they transfer your records to our office. It helps us treat you more effectively when we have the big picture of your dental history. Our website contains information about office phone number and email address that your previous dentist office may need.
- Mention Health Concerns: If you are pregnant, have diabetes or epilepsy, have any special needs, or experience dental anxiety, please let our front office now ahead of time. We want to make your visit comfortable and desire to serve you in the best way possible.
What To Expect When You Check-In
On the day of your appointment, we want everything to go as smoothly as possible. This is what you can expect when you check-in for your next appointment.
- If you’re a new patient, fill out this paperwork and bring it to the front desk when you arrive. If you’ve been with us before, you may still be asked to update your contact and insurance information.
- Make sure to bring your insurance card so that your benefits can be verified and a claim filed. Anderson & Atkins currently accepts non-HMO insurance and is in-network for Cigna, Delta Dental PPO, and Sun Life. Care Credit is also accepted. If you have questions about payment options, contact our front office.
What To Expect During Your Check-Up
After you’ve checked in, a dental hygienist will bring you to the back for the following:
- X-rays: If this is your first visit, or you haven’t seen us in a while, we will take an x-ray of your mouth. This helps our team analyze your teeth and your jaw, especially under the gumline. Not only does this help us detect diseases and disorders early.
- Evaluation: During this time, you will meet with a dentist who will go over your x-rays, examine your teeth and gum line, your tongue, jaw, and neck. Your dental team will evaluate your risk for gum disease, cavities, and signs of oral cancer. Your team will recommend procedures, products, or home care techniques that will improve your oral health.
- Treatment: Treatment includes removing plaque and tartar, as well as brushing and flossing your teeth. Your dentist will also address any immediate needs based on your evaluation.
- Plan Your Next Visit: In most cases, it’s ideal to schedule a routine check-up and teeth cleaning twice a year. However, if your evaluation reveals the need for an extra procedure, your dentist will recommend coming back into the office at a later date. It’s important to take care of your oral health as soon as possible to avoid pain or discomfort and prolong healing.
We hope to see you at Anderson and Atkins, DDS soon. Don’t wait to schedule your next appointment with us. Call our office at (979) 846-1813 today.
About the Author